Wednesday 24 August 2011

Camping

We're going camping. I don't like camping.

Sleeping on the ground. I can take that or leave it. Tents? Yummy.

The problem is most likely the camping when I was a kid. The tents were old, musty, canvas monsters. The air mattresses leaky and squeaky.

Camping food? Don't get me started.

Helen loves camping. She loves every part of camping. We've compromised in the past and camped on some of our California vacations. The compromise was, sleep in the tent and eating in restaurants.

This time it's real camping. We are going with Helen's brother's family. Two of us, and five of them. Kids all over. Campfires, cooking, the whole shebang.

It won't be any hardship. Oliver and Jenn know how to do camp food right. We're taking tons of hot dogs and chips as well. Who doesn't love hot dogs and chips?

I do like being in woods, and being next to a lake. There will be wonderful places to do my running. Should be lots of reading time, and my Kindle is loaded. Taking an iPad along as well.

The part of camping I hated the most as a kid was boredom. I used to count the hours. All the stuff I liked doing at home did not translate into the camping world. Was never the kind of kid that entertained himself with a stick, a rock, and some dirt. As an adult, all my fun stuff comes with me. Helen is even insisting I take a Karate uniform along. Kata by the lake?

All my activities, and the kids, and visiting with Oliver, Jenn, and Helen will make this the best camping ever.

And the chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment