Friday 7 February 2014

WearAndTear

Week five has been hard on me.

I've been trying to be careful. An example is how I approach sparring. It is usually the last half hour of any session. I normally stay for one five-minute roll, and then head for the change room.

I've been paired with people of every rank. The safest are those wearing belts of higher ranking colours. They have nothing to prove against a baby Blue, and so there is no risk. They kind of play with me, or maybe give tips.

The risky ones are other Blue Belts. The skill level is lower, and they often want to test themselves. I'm pretty good at defence, and some don't seem to like finding it hard to make an old guy tap.

A couple of times this week I've had partners who've pushed too hard. This has lead to a few minor injuries. Wouldn't be a problem, as a normal person gets downtime to heal.

There are also issues caused just by over use in training. An example is my right elbow. One day we did a technique where there is a rapid shift of weight onto that joint in a bit of a grinding way. Had to wear a pad to protect that arm ever since. It's a little crunchy.

I don't really get much mending time. There are 2 three-classes days and 3 two-class days each week. Weekends are quieter, as there is a single session Saturday morning. Between that class and the start of the next week I try and heal as fast as I can.

Anyhow, week five ends soon. The routine will continue through weeks six and seven.

Week eight will feel different. The Saturday at the end of that one is the finish line.



No comments:

Post a Comment