Sunday 16 February 2014

Again?

About to start week seven of eight.

My brain is pretty full, and no way to solo drill what I've learned already.

I need time to digest stuff, and this hasn't been happening. It's a very good thing for me that students aren't expected to attend as many classes as I do. Material repeats so that everybody gets exposed. For me this means there is review time.

If not, I'd be retaining very little. As it is, it's OK.

Back home I have access to the mat pretty much anytime. When I get there I'll focus on drilling the techniques I've been picking up.

It's remarkable how different the Gracie teaching technique is here compared to their distance programs.

The distance method has had us exposed to one technique unit per week. We then focus on it for all three training days. Here at the Gracie Academy, they throw out a lot more material each day. A typical student, who attends three times a week, will most likely face a lot of new stuff every single class.

Which method is better depends on the individual. I need lots of practice. None of this comes naturally to me.

I do like it here a lot. My wife and I are already thinking about another visit late in 2014 when it starts getting cold again up north. This time we're here for 8 weeks. Next time would be only a month or less. My body doesn't like the longer time period. Half would be just about right. Or not.

That we're thinking about a repeat should illustrate what a fine vacation it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment