Friday 8 February 2013

Teacher

Teachers sometimes get days to work on becoming better teachers. This usually means attending workshops, seminars and such.

Today was the last one I shall ever attend. There was a keynote speaker, followed by the workshops.

I had claimed the staff room, (comfy chairs) and showed a small group how to set up, and use their iPads to maximum effect.

On my last teacher day, I was being a teacher. When I go to Karate, I'm the teacher. Soon I'll retire from being a teacher.

Tonight it was open-mat night at Jiu-Jitsu. That's where people do, well, whatever. I was mostly doing Karate kata, and reviewing my Jiu-Jitsu. One girl was practicing with her staff. Some did Hapkido and some just chatted.
 
One of our White Belts was working solo. He is a mma guy, and joined us to improve his grappling skills. He has a fight in two weeks. I grabbed him and we rolled a bit.
 
I kept stopping the action and showing him things. After that, I showed him a few tricks from the advanced curriculum that might just be useful in his upcoming bout, but that are also easy to absorb. I was teaching.
 
Is it any wonder that I feel honoured when someone at Karate calls me “Sensei”.
 
It means teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment