Wednesday 20 February 2013

End and Begin

My last work day is March 28th. The papers are all in. All is official.

When I picked my retirement date, I didn't think of all the ramifications, but it will be perfect timing.

I hate staggering into vacation time. This is a common teacher phenomenon. We get to Christmas, or summer, or spring break and drop exhausted the moment it arrives. The first few days are spent recovering. This isn't really me whining. Teachers get great vacation time. It is just a fact that we are truly beat by the time they arrive.

I didn't want this to happen as I roll into retirement. A logical end time would have been spring break. If I had chosen that, I would be staggering into my new life.

I am teaching up to and passed spring break. I get the vacation, and will get to it exhausted and take a few days to recover. I return to work for my last week right after that. I will not be exhausted after one week back. I will go into retirement perky and refreshed.

That work week is only four days long, as it ends with a statutory holiday. It will be Easter Weekend. We will be meeting friends in Vancouver. They will be down from Vernon to visit family, and we are invited along. It will be days of fun and giggles.

After that, teachers go back to work, but not me. I will start my new life with very full batteries. I'll be running, biking and relaxing. We also have a new floor to install in the basement. I don't want to rush over that, but a week seems reasonable. Helen also wants that room reorganized, and it's the perfect chance. Move the stuff out, do the floor, and reorg' anything that goes back in. A lot of it is school stuff that will be heading to the dump

It is all perfect; getting spring break, a few days back, and the weekend with friends.

I hope my first retired day will be sunny. I'd love to bike, and run, and start the floor.

But then, there's no rush.




No comments:

Post a Comment