Sunday 31 August 2014

GoingTo

I am an old-fashioned kind of guy. My view divides the world into 7 continents. I don't have any sort of bucket list going where I want to visit them all.

In fact, there are many that I have no real interest in visiting at all.

Antarctica; zero interest, even if it wasn't incredibly expensive.

Australia and the South Pacific; too far away, and nothing that is calling out to me.

Africa and South America; there are things I'd like to see, but that aren't really high up on my list. For example; I am interested in the Atacoma Desert in Chile, but the cost in time, effort, comfort and treasure just to get there effectively eliminate it.

That leaves Asia, Europe, and North America in the top half of the list.

Asia; Japan holds Asia's greatest fascination for me. It is readily accessible, and comfortable to visit. We'll get there someday.

Europe; I have tons of targets to hit in this continent. Britain, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Greece...you get the idea. Whenever we are planning travel, several of these ideas bubble to the surface. The only thing that slows us down is the distance.

North America; I live here, and so have already travelled here extensively. It is by far the cheapest and easiest to see. For this coming year, North America wins out.

Besides numerous small trips within our own Province, we will be heading to different venues in the USA. Not counting states we'll just be travelling through, we will be visiting California, Florida, California again, Arizona, Nevada, and Alaska. These are spread out through the coming year.

This North American exclusivity wasn't cunningly planned. Nobody decided to ignore the rest of the world and stick near to home. It just happened.

When it becomes time to plan something else, perhaps for a little over a year away, other continents will certainly have their hands raised as if to say, “pick me!”

I'd put my wager on someplace in Europe.

We talk a lot about Portugal, and Spain, and Italy. Our thoughts are currently aimed somewhat south, as we'll be visiting in the cooler months. None of us are the type that would like to visit Norway for Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment