Saturday 23 August 2014

Empty Hall

Today was day one of our ten-day shutdown at the local Gracie Jiu-Jitsu school.

Normally, there would be an open-mat session. That's when the place is open to be used, but no formal instruction is going on. Anybody that shows up is left to their own devices. Three or four people are the most common number of attendees.

I let people know the schedule that I'd be opening the school up for student use. I am fortunate enough to have been trusted with a key, and our instructor is quite in favour of us using the place.

Nobody else showed up. I put away the tables and chairs left out from last nights Hapkido exams. There were sparring gloves and water bottles laying about. I straightened the place up. There was even a mouth guard left on a chair. Eww.

The cleanup didn't take very long.

I hoisted on my knee pads and got to work reviewing material appropriate to my level.

Who did I train with, you might ask?

Fully expecting to be alone, I'd dusted off my home-made grappling dummy and stuffed him into the car. He happily joined me on the mat. I did a great many arm triangles on him, and he never complained; not even once.

I left him behind when I went home. He's a bit awkward to haul around in my teensy, tiny car.

He should be fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment