Friday 22 August 2014

Closed for Holiday

Starting tomorrow, the local Gracie Jiu-Jitsu school will be closing down for ten days. The instructor is heading out for a little rest and recreation.

This doesn't mean the doors will never be open. I have a key, and will be going in most days just like usual. The boss is fine with this.

I let the group know. There will be a normal open-mat 10am start time this Saturday. Usually, nothing happens anyway on Sunday or Monday, so I planned on going in on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays at 6pm for at least an hour. Friday I'll maintain the usual open-mat time of 4-5:30pm, and open-mat again on Saturday at 10am.

I told people I'm up for other suggested times, and Ryan may already be taking me up on a Monday opening.

Likely, I'll be alone for most of these times. If so, I have instructional videos to watch, along with plenty of things I can practice solo. My grappling dummy, Bubba, will be on the mat with me. He is quite loyal.

If anybody else is there, I'll be happy to play teacher if they are White Belts, or training partner if they are Blues. I know that Ryan wants to do a Gracie University Blue Belt Stripe exam soon. I've already done that one, and will be happy to help him prepare. Maybe people will just want to roll. Fine by me.

It won't be as good as normal class time, but very valuable none-the-less.

With the Gracies, there are a million ways to do every little thing, but only one way that is considered text-book correct. We've been blasting through the curriculum at a brisk pace. Some of it has sunk in nicely, but there are also quite a few techniques that have slipped away since we covered them. Closed-school time will give me an opportunity to revisit, review, and relearn those that gave gotten away.



No comments:

Post a Comment