Friday 29 August 2014

Brakes

The brakes are on.

When I first started training on the mat, my feet took a beating. My toes were forever getting snapped back. There were always a few of them complaining about abuse. I suspect that they suffered several breaks. I just taped them together and kept going. After a few months something changed, and they stopped getting hurt.

I over pulled a tendon in my arm. Taped it up, too, and kept training.

A shoulder thing? Kept going.

Dragged my old butt down to Gracie Headquarters, and trained there two or three times at day for 8 weeks. Made it through a lot of great partners, and a few meatheads. Made it through that, too. No injuries worth the telling.

Then back home again, and my knee got hurt. I have no idea how, but something went wrong. Didn't seem to be getting better, so went the doctor, MRI, physio route. Kept training, but with care. Slow progress was being made.

Had my next visit to Gracie HQ planned for this winter; another 3 weeks worth, and then another week just as winter would turn into spring.

Then my knee got re-injured. Again, and like always, I have no idea what happened.

I fully expect recovery, but these things progress slowly enough for people with young bones and joints. For me to expect to train at Gracie Headquarter pace in just a few months is foolish. The 3 week visit is erased from the calendar. Lucky I always plan in pencil.

The 1-week visit later is still on the schedule. It might have to go, too. It can also be expanded, perhaps into 2 weeks. That will all depend on how things go.

I'm pleased that my 58-year-old body has held up to the ravages of three years of Jiu-Jitsu training without requiring a break. I still can train, but for the first time have to modify what I desire due to injury.

I am slowed somewhat.


No comments:

Post a Comment