Thursday 5 June 2014

PartnerPlanning

The big seminar with Rener Gracie is only 9 days away. It has become the big topic of conversation. I'm looking forward to it greatly.

For maximum enjoyment, people need to think about how they want to experience the training.

Do they want to meet and train with new people, or do they want to learn the most at a technical level?

If one wants a social experience, there is nothing to prepare for. You go, and after the first movement is explained, you just grab somebody to partner with. This would be fine, but you never know what you're going to get.

For maximum learning, I think it is wise to arrive at the seminar with a compatible partner already arranged. That way, you can more easily concentrate on the material presented.

For me, it's Jiu-Jitsu first and social second. I would far prefer arranging a partner ahead of time. Any of our Blue Belts would be a great match.

I haven't done so already as my knee is currently an issue. If it isn't significantly better by seminar time, I wouldn't be a great partner for one of my friends. If things mend up, I'll grab somebody closer to training day. If anybody approaches me to team up, I'll agree but make sure they are aware of my knee.

The sessions will cover Mount Submission, and Triple Threat Back Attack. The first will be moderately demanding on injury, and the second as easy on knees as anything we ever do.

I think this time I'll get Rener to autograph my belt. That shouldn't hurt my knee much.




No comments:

Post a Comment