Friday 18 April 2014

Balance

I have always been a defensive Jiu-Jitsu fighter. I'm pretty good at it.

Shutting down the other guy's attacks tends to cause frustration. They then  make mistakes I can exploit.

Some people find it uncomfortable having an opponent crushing down from  above them. I'm content to be there.

I have always been far less effective in the offensive role. It doesn't come naturally to me, and I usually revert to defence.

The Gracie Academy changed me.

When sparring there, I remained my usual defensive self when paired with other Blue Belts.

Facing higher belts, I couldn't do so. They usually go defensive when with a lower-level opponent. I had to get comfortable dictating the pace and trying to force submissions. It didn't work against higher-level partners, but there was no other option.

I am home now, and am a changed fighter. Against my peers, I am much more aggressive. I find My skills to be much better balanced. This makes me a much less predictable opponent.

Having learned a mess of technique hasn't hurt, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment