Sunday 9 June 2013

Zombie Walk

Delayed onset muscle soreness is literally a pain.

It's that painful, stiff feeling that happens a day or two after an doing an unaccustomed physical activity. A familiar activity can also cause it, if taken beyond what the body is used to. At the start of softball season, I bet a lot of winter, couch potatoes end up walking funny for a few days.

When it's really bad, I call it rigor mortis. I've had this level of muscle stiffness every time I've run a half marathon.

Karate seminars cause it. When we'd have them up north, we'd train hard Friday night, and then again all day Saturday before our bodies had any chance to recover. Sunday morning we'd go again. Attendence after the seminar at the regular Monday evening class was almost nil. I always had to be there Monday to teach. I'd barely  be able to move, shuffling around like a zombie.

Yesterday was a Karate seminar day in Chilliwack. I was up at 5am to make it by the 9:30 start time. Training ended at 4:30 in the afternoon, and I was home by 9:00pm.

The stiffness hasn't started yet. It usually hits me two days after the activity is over. Tomorrow I might just be hobbling a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment