Sunday 2 June 2013

Busy Time

Friday and Saturday, I usually work alone on the mat. Each of those days there is time set aside for whatever the students want. Very few take advantage of it. Often, I'm the only one there for most of the time.

I don't mind. I review my level's curriculum. I probably look pretty silly rolling around by myself, doing the same thing over and over.

Suddenly, things are getting more lively.

This last Friday, Tobias was looking to do the final segment of his exam. The instructor made a point of being there as well. Tobias and I worked for maybe 20 minutes on what he was going to be doing, and then it was video time. I acted as his partner for the fight simulation drill.

For the rest of the time, I worked with David. He's been away for a while, and wants to refresh his technique back to what it used to be. He'd asked me if I'd work with him. I agreed, but let him know that Tobias's test had priority. We still have half the time left after the test video wrapped up.

Either of these two activities would have made this a particularly active open-mat time. Together it was outstanding.

I had even had to turn down a third person when he asked about working together Friday. This week I was going to be too busy.

Our instructor is finding it hard to progress steadily in his own training. What he needs is a regular partner to act as what the Japanese call an 'uke'. This person is sort of a training dummy, but one who knows enough to perform the victim role correctly. I am the logical choice. He was the third guy who wanted to work with me Friday.

I am happy to be able to help him, and so this will become my priority during open-mat time.

It won't screw up my own progress, as my only goal is to finish my level before Helen and I go to LA at the start of 2014. My schedule has tons of leeway built into it. I should have finished all of the curriculum by the end of September. Giving up some review time now just might mean some a little more in the fall.

I like it busy on the mat.


No comments:

Post a Comment