Tuesday 26 January 2016

What is Jiu Jitsu

What is the purpose of Jiu-Jitsu?

Is it a hobby, or a sport, or self-defence?

Self defence? The chance that I'll ever face a threat is pretty small. I live in a place with a very low crime rate, and don't engage in any high-risk behaviours, like frequenting bars or having druggie friends. Even if I do ever face such a situation, surely my 30 years of Karate and the 5 years I've already put into Jiu-Jitsu has me as ready as I can be. Anything I do from now on would only be polishing. Therefore, I cannot be doing Jiu-Jitsu to protect myself.

Sport? There are a lot of people who think Jiu-Jitsu is all about sport, but they're wrong. If you think I'm wrong, go watch a Judo tournament, and then one for Jiu-Jitsu. Every official at the Judo tournament has faced significant training, not just in Judo, but in their role as tournament officials. They are formally dressed, in matching shirts, ties, and jackets. The rules are clear, and consistent, and understood by every participant. In a Jiu-Jitsu tournament, officials are assigned at whim, many of whom have little or no understanding of the rules or procedures.

But perhaps I'm being harsh. Maybe Jiu-Jitsu is just a new sport that hasn't sorted everything out yet.

I don't think so. Think about real sports; baseball, basketball, or hockey. Why do people join them? They sign up to play the game involved. New people do not sign up in Jiu-Jitsu because of tournaments. They probably don't even know such things exist when they first start. They sign up because a friend says it's fun, or they want to learn to fight, or they think it's a good way to get in shape.

So maybe it isn't a sport, but a hobby. Why do people do anything? Why do they do Yoga? They usually have two reasons for doing any activity. It is either fun, or good for them, or both.

If somebody enjoys Yoga, they get both. If you enjoy fishing, that's great, and you get fish. But how does Jiu-Jitsu work like this.

It is a heck of a workout, and can be incredibly fun. For many people it isn't, but that's true of everything. I found Yoga boring to the point of tears, but millions love it. Even more than the workout, Jiu-Jitsu is also a mental game.

You have to solve mental puzzles that change constantly. How do you advance your position, or get a submission, while defending without interruption, and controlling your partner? There is an incredible amount to learn.

My father-in-law loved crossword puzzles. Evidence shows that they help you keep sharp as you age.

As a White Belt, you learn that the mount position rules, and that you can employ twisting arm control, or apply an American armlock, or a straight armlock. The mount is considered the ultimate position. Then, as a new Blue Belt, you learn to counter twisting arm control, and Americana arm-locks, and straight arm-locks. The only submissions added for that position are collar chokes, but so are the defences for them. From being the best position, mount becomes toothless. If you were all about the mount, you have to evolve. Tell me that doing this won't keep you sharp.

I have learned about 200-250 techniques. They used to say that you would learn 600 by the time you hit Black Belt, but I think that's a serous underestimation. Things are constantly being added, and I'd bet that there are more like 1000. Even then, you'd only be a Black Belt. There are still tons of things that Black Belts still learn.

And you get to wear snazzy outfits.


No comments:

Post a Comment