Saturday 20 September 2014

Next and Purple promotions

Let's see. My next promotion in Jiu-Jitsu is getting close. When might it actually happen?

A Purple Belt is 3 promotions away. Just when is that possible to achieve?

The first requirement for promotion is 8 months of training. As my last promotion was in early March, I will satisfy that rule in November; less than two months away.

The same reasoning would put a Purple Belt in March of 2016.

The next is a minimum attendance at 10 Reflex classes per level. I have easily double that right now.

The last is a total of 90 advanced classes. I travel a lot, so there are some holes in my progress there. My upcoming trips are all entered into the old spreadsheet. Assuming perfect attendance while at home, which is my norm, I should be done with this requirement in the first week of January.

That's a little annoying. I'll be two classes short of completing the requirement before the school shuts for Christmas rather than afterwards. Oh, well.

The least calculable aspect is that after satisfying all the minimums, it is up to the instructor to decide if we are ready for promotion. I don't think he'll keep me waiting long. I am almost always on the mat during White Belt classes, and attend both open-mat sessions per week. I also take the odd private lesson as well.

Let's just say I get promoted as soon as I am eligible. The next one after that would be 8 months and 90 classes away again. That would be September 2015. If I deduct my holidays again, and add in the training I'll be doing in LA and in Arizona, I should have completed the 90 classes ahead of time in July.

Let's pretend I get promoted on schedule in September. The next would be the jump to Purple Belt. There is no set number for months or classes for that move. For me, I'd want a similar amount of progress, so I am self-imposing 8 months and another 90 classes. That would put the date in about May of 2016.

There will be no promotion for me anytime near May. A full-belt promotion only comes after evaluation by a Gracie. I would want to do it as part of an extended training visit to LA. For me, those come in the cold months, so the earliest would be the following November. By then it will have been 14 months, and I'll have accumulated over 200 advanced classes.

Hope I'm not too old by then. Let's see. November 2016 will make me 60... sixty?... SIXTY...


Holy crap.


No comments:

Post a Comment