Wednesday 19 March 2014

Tobias

It can sometimes be hard to measure any progress that is achieved during an intensive training period.

My recent two-month visit to LA was just such an intensive training period.

I learned a lot of technique, and got lots of practice, but did I actually get any better.

I am fortunate that there is a pretty scientific measure that can be applied.

At our local training centre before my trip, there was another Blue Belt named Tobias, who was almost exactly my match in free rolling. He's younger and stronger, but I had a bit more experience and training. I used to regularly beat him, but he was catching up fast. Around Christmas he had caught up and the tide was definitely about to turn.

While I was gone he continued to train. In LA I got over four times as much training as Tobias did. I was also rolling with a very wide range of partners, including every rank from Blue Belt to Black.

Since getting home, I've rolled with just about everybody. It seems much easier than before, but Tobias is my measuring stick.

Against him, I'm ahead again.

At least for a couple of months, and then he'll catch me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment