Monday 1 July 2013

Vegas Style Run

I used to be a teacher, and have loved Las Vegas for a long time. This means that we go there a lot, and always in the summer. Why? Cuz that's when teachers get their lovely holidays.

I also like to run. Would you like to go for a run in Vegas in the summer? Today it was 46 degrees there. That's 115 fahrenheit.

Did you know that when they take official temperatures, they do it in the shade and 8 feet above the ground. If you go for a run in Vegas, you never find yourself 8 feet off the desert, and never in the shade. The temperature there in the sun is about a zillion, both fahrenheit and celcius.

When we are there I run every day and I have not died yet.

I mention this because we're at home today, and it was stupid hot. I went for a run, kept it short, took extra water, and almost killed myself.

Time to switch to my cunning Vegas running method.

The trick is easy. I wake up freakishly early, but Helen doesn't like to roll out of bed until a more human hour. I get up as quietly as I can and get running. It is much better. At 6am today in Vegas it was only 33 degrees (91 fahrenheit).

Still too hot? Not really. The early hour also lowers the sun in the sky, and the massive cassinos throw shade all over both sides of the strip. It's quite do-able.

Around here early running might actually call for long sleeves.

The other great thing about early running in Vegas is it gets the run out of the way. The entire rest of the day is free. It will work the same way here.

I'll start tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment