Tuesday 21 May 2013

Tiny Teacher

The Jiu-Jitsu club at the High School is going very well. The kids are all very eager, and cooperative. I am teaching them the best I can.

Some things are kind of hard for me to convey. I can say and I can tell, but any teacher can tell you that isn't often the best method.

Non of the kids are very massive. Some are pretty tall, but quite slender. I am by far the biggest person there. When I show them a technique, it looks like it should work as I'm significantly larger than whoever I demonstrate on. I stress that size and strength doesn't matter. They believe me, but it would be better if I could show them.

Therefore, I have invited the smallest Blue Belt from the Gracie Academy to be a guest instructor at the High School Club. She is choosing to do two techniques when she comes on Thursday. They are Twisting Arm Control and Rear Takedown. These are perfect choices.

They are interesting enough in their own right, but will be just right for showing the effectiveness of precision and physics over size and strength. When she demonstrates Twisting Arm Control on me, they'll see a tiny little lady holding someone twice her size with apparent ease.

With Rear Takedown, they'll see her throwing me from a standing position with alarming violence.

Why is this good? A couple of our boys are pretty small, as are all of the girls. Even our big guys aren't really big. They will all get to see how an excellent smaller person can easily handle somebody much larger. They will see how well Jiu-Jitsu works.

This will hopefully inspire them, and also help them to learn future technique. They'll know how critical precision is. They'll understand they have to get the details right.

It isn't strength.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment