Friday 3 May 2013

Bump cluster

From Tuesday until Friday, which is today I normally train in Jiu-Jitsu for about 9 hours. Normally, my training week goes for one more day for another couple of hours but this week is different.

We are heading in to the city to get the car serviced and to do some shopping. This means my Saturday training is canceled.
 
Normally I'd be unhappy about this, but not this time.
 
Sometimes I go for months on end without the slightest injury, but this hasn't been the current reality. I've had a nasty little cluster of things happening. I've hurt both elbows. One might actually be something, but the other is only bruised, swollen, and scraped.
 
This week's technique had us pulling heavy ground friction, and I've got several annoying floor burns on my legs.
 
I also managed to get head-butted in the nose in a way that made a most alarming noise. My partner was sure he'd killed me. Didn't hurt then, or swell up, or bleed, but when it gets bumped in just the right spot the pain is very nasty. Of course, it's been getting bumped all week.
 
My body can use the almost-four-day-period-off to mend. By Tuesday, my lesser elbow injury, the floor burns, and the nose should all be right as rain. The other arm might remain an issue longer, but I'll keep using elbow pads to help protect it. That elbow just might take a little longer to heal.
 
My plan is to stop getting hurt. I haven't quite figured out what strategy to use to achieve this goal. I don't now what causes the long periods of no-injury, or what causes a bump cluster.
 
It's probably random.



No comments:

Post a Comment