Friday 24 August 2012

Second cruise


Seward was better than expected. It is relatively untouched by the cruise port effect.

My back hurts a bit.

Fun to watch people figuring out the ship.

......

Almost time for the glacier again. Bernie got the time lapse app for his iPad, too. Gonna have lots of icey videos.

We are sitting in the coffee area eating pastries. There is a charge for coffee but not for the snackies. Life is good.

......

Glacier day was yesterday and jolly. Today was Juneau and even better.

Our friends went shopping while Helen and I went biking along a quiet seaside road. The hauling out and reloading of the bikes keeps getting smoother.

My back has been cranky since Seward, so Helen was worried I'd wreck myself but I didn't.

We had a complimentary lunch at the crepe place onboard. Might just have to do that again.

Later we shopped and I almost bought a ring. Instead I bought nothing.

In the evening we went all sorts of separate ways. My back felt so good I went for a treadmill run for 2 miles. Haven't run for a few days. I'm still not wrecked after hauling bikes, riding, and later running.

Treadmills are evil, however. Running on scenic roads is dull enough. Running on a machine is a hundred times worse.

......

Skagway was another bike day, with tons of ring shopping added on.

Had on a beauty that was over three grand, as well as lots in the $200-300 range. Finally found one for 16 bucks.

It's ten minutes before happy hour in Phyliss's room. We have a bottle of rum to work on.

......

The others have cooled a lot on the shows, but I still go. The dancing and singing is really good.

It is now early morning of Hoonah day. I've made a couple of time-lapse deck tours and am waiting eagerly for our planned crepe breakfast at the specialty dining cafe. They are soooo good.

Helen has given me the "day off". This means I don't have to haul the bikes ashore on the tenders, or even accompany her ashore. I will, of course, but only because I want to.

......

Was ashore for a half hour or so. Went down on the beach and put my feet into the sea. Bone chilling, which was no surprise.

Ran 3.49 miles on a treadmill and headed to lunch, which is where I am now.

My radio has died, which makes communication difficult. Left a note on the bed saying where I am.

......

Waiting for the 9:00pm show. It was another perfect day.

......

6:21am of our final port day. Helen wants to bike Ketchikan. I'd be just as happy not to, but am happy enough.

I just want to visit one store, where they have quality clothing and are not aimed at the cruise ship customers.

......

We went north 5km and then came back. We go majorly rain soaked. Luckily, not too cold. Put the bikes away and went back out shopping. Of course the rain stopped.

Helen got a mammoth-tooth ring, and I got a piece of quartz with copper.

Mine is just the stone, weighs about a pound or two, and cost $27.50. There's enough there for about a hundred rings.

......

Waiting for the show. I saw it last week, but I really enjoy the dancing and singing. Helen and Lola are shopping, and Bernie and Phyliss are wandering about.

......

At bedtime Lola and Bernie discovered two bottles of wine chilling in their room. We polished off the first.

It's now 6am of the last day. The clocks went ahead an hour overnight, and I'm the only passenger up and about. The coffee was on, of course, and I'm seated at a big dark window.

This trip? A fair amount of wildlife. Lots of eagles and ravens. Sea otters, seals, sea lions and humpback whales.

Bought a cruise-line tshirt and sweatshirt. Bought a $2 ring, and another for $16. I think that's all.

Biked in Hoonah, Skagway, Juneau, Skagway again, and Ketchikan in the rain.

Got champaign in the room for the 90th birthday party, and a bottle of rum delivered at the end of the first cruise. Two more bottles of wine last night.

I watched every production show twice. We dance all over, including on the big marble floor when there was a party in the centrum.

Made lots of time lapses movies.

......

Sitting in the coffee shop area with a latte. Earlier ran 3.35 miles on a machine, then another kilometer on deck. It didn't work too well as the walkers were about and would cluelessly block the way.

Things are winding down.

......

We are home now. I've never been finished with a cruise after one week, but doubling it made me content to leave.

I only gained seven pounds.








No comments:

Post a Comment