Friday 17 August 2012

Cruise

I am sitting in a lovely lounge on board the cruise ship named Millennium. Helen and I are travelling with our very good friends Lola, Bernie, and Phyliss.

We came aboard yesterday in Vancouver. Today is a day with no port stop scheduled, so it is a relaxing day at sea. We're pretty much all wandering about.

Helen and I hit the gym at 6am when it opened. She went on an eliptical trainer,  and I ran 3 and a half miles on a treadmill.

We all met up for breakfast, and then scattered. Some went to a watercolour class, and a kitchen tour. I've been goal-less, but have kept quite content and busy just exploring.

If we don't see each other, we all meet up at the lunch table. It's a good system.

I'm looking forward to lunch.

Last night I had two appetizers, two of the soups, two deserts, and my entree was a massive slab of prime rib. I also helped Pyliss finish off her pork chop, which was really a roast with a bone sticking out. It was her 90th birthday, and she just can't pack it away like I can.

Lunch might be big, too.

......

It was, and supper was, too.

We got to dance a bit, and I'm getting real used to going to a show every night.

In the morning we are in Ketchikan. It is a hilly place.

......

Ketchikan was nice.

At Hoonah we hauled out the folding bikes and racked up 13.5 km. They were awkward on the tender boats, but were a success.

It is almost breakfast and we are docked in Juneau.

......

It's now Skagway day. After breakfast Helen and I are off biking. It is a very flat town nestled at the mouth of a river. If we decide to go farther, there is a road along the sea.

I ran it once, and it's seriously lovely. Never made it to the park at the far end, turning back after logging 10 k, meaning 10 k back. I think there were about 5 more to go, but it was too far to run. We'll see if bikes are more suitable. It does turn into gravel, so we'll see.

......

We are loading the last of the day trippers before leaving Skagway. This town is my favourite stop.

Put 18.24 km on the bikes. We went to the old cemetary above the town, and to the stunning spot on the Dyea road above the cruise ships and town. On the way back to the ship Helen shopped a little.

The bikes went back aboard painlessly. Helen went aboard to get the cases while I did my magical bike folding trick. Several people today commented what a good idea folding bikes are for cruise travel. They don't need to convince me.

Later, while lounging by the pool I got recruited for a free sampler massage. Things are rough.

......

The ship is heading in towards Hubbard glacier right now. The bay is clouded over and as cold as a glacier should be. I'm wedged comfortably into a big lounge window watching ice chunks go by.

......

There was a special brunch buffet, which made the ususal buffet look like hobo food.

The glacier had been calving more than we've seen in any of our previous six Alaska cruises. My iPad caught some of it in timelapse.

Most of the passengers seem a little wistful as they leave the ship tomorrow. We don't, and feel quite smug.

......

Got our information how we do things on the day most folks leave and are replaced by newbies. The cruise line is nice enough to let us have some dry cleaning or laundry done without a charge, and a fancy lunch.

I've been super relaxed today. The only two activities I've done have been the extra-fancy brunch and a Tango lesson. It was put on by two of the dancers, and they made it make sense.

......

The ship is docked at Seward, and it's too early to get out of bed. It is changeover day. Two thousand people leave and are replaced with two thousand new ones. A few of us carry on for a second week.

We do have to pack and unpack again. Somehow our two weeks in one room magically turned into one week in one cabin and a second week in a different one. A bother.

I'm leaning towards staying onboard, but the clan wants to toddle into the village. There is a shuttle from the dock to the Safeway. I think this pretty much says it all. A ride to Safeway.

......

No comments:

Post a Comment