Wednesday 29 November 2017

Switching Religions

Computers drive me nuts. They are cranky and cantankerous, and incredibly short-lived.

They start out nice and zippy, but within days they start to clog up with nonsense from all the software, and begin to slow. It has always been true that this was far less true of Apple machines than of Windows devices.

Windows computers only live an average of three years before they need replacing. Apple ones last at least twice as long, and often much more.

Apple also includes more than enough software bundled up with their machines to handle every normal task, whereas Windows computers do not.

The obvious solution to minimize all these issues would be to select an Apple computer rather than a Windows one.

What stops me is the cost that Apple charges for its stuff. I would gladly pay double the money to get a computer that lasts twice as long, but they cost a lot more than that. I would pay more to get the software suite, but the Apple price is higher still.

My current Windows laptop has started having all sorts of issues. So far, I have been able to bully it into doing most of what I want, but not everything. I could probably struggle it along for a while longer, but am not feeling so inclined.

Apple has recently come out with a new version of their Macbook Air. It is their lowest-priced laptop, and I am sorely tempted to make the plunge.

I used to game with my computers, and liked access the huge number of titles available. The Apple side had nothing like it, but I am no longer a computer gamer. I use my machines for normal grown-up kinds of things like word processing, spread-sheeting, and going on the web. All of my mobile devices need to communicate well with whatever computer I am using, and they are all iPads and iPhones. They work seamlessly with Apple computers, while it's a struggle to get them to function consistently with a Windows machine. Today my iPhone and computer are refusing to talk to each other at all.

The good news is that no instant decision is necessary. My current Windows computer isn't down for the count.





No comments:

Post a Comment