Saturday 26 November 2016

iPhone

I am a major psycho when it comes to my hobbies, or perhaps I should call them my addictions.

It is that way with Jiu-Jitsu, and Karate before that.

I'm also a major tech geek. I can't even accurately count the number of computers I've owned, but it comes in at something around 15. That works out to a new one every two years on average.

It doesn't even include all of my assorted other tech do-hickeys.

Within that category, there have been a great many Apple devices. I've owned 3 iPods, and 4 iPads.

The funny thing is; I've never owned an iPhone, although my wife has one.

Helen has an iPhone 6s, and before that had a 4s, and has loved them both from day one. We don't even have a land-line. Helen's phone is our only phone.

I have had a couple of cell phones over the years. Way back I had one about the size of a cinder-block that I needed for work. Only had it for a couple of years. More recently, I had a little clamshell shaped model cheapie, but hated it, and didn't keep it even as long as the first. The closest thing I've had to a phone since 2013 then has been my iPad Mini, which is hooked up to cellular data, and can that I can text with.

On Monday, we are going into the city for a car servicing, and I've decided to take the plunge and visit the Apple Store. My goal; a brand new iPhone 7+, with a stupid amount of memory.

Colour? Rose Gold, which means pink. This is for visibility. I misplace things and like bright items to minimize this. It is one of the largest phones around.

So what are some of the features that I'm looking forward to?

The iPhone 7+ has an absolutely stupendous camera. Actually, there are two of them. One is the same as in the smaller iPhone 7 model, and the other works as a magnifier to bring things closer. There are also a bunch of times when the two cameras do things together that will be fun to explore.

My wife has last year's model of the smaller version; an iPhone 6S. It has good battery life, and my new monster will have all of that, and a few more hours on top. An advantage to a big phone is room for equally big batteries.

The iPhone 7+ that I'm getting is huge, which means that I'll be using it more like a tablet than a phone. A regular iPad has a 9.7" screen, and a mini like mine is 7.9". My wife's phone is pretty big, and has a large 4.7" screen. Mine will have one that is 5.5" and somehow that is just over the line in making a device seem iPad-like. Of course, that is how if feels with the limited use of suck machines within an Apple Store. Only time will tell if it works that way in the real world. It is the right size for me in any case, as the typing keys on Helen's phone are just a hair too small for my fingers.

It also has all the regular Apple features, like unlocking with a fingerprint, and Siri.

What I am hoping for is a gadget simplification. My normal load when out for the day includes a shoulder bag with my extra-huge iPad Pro (12.9"), my iPad mini, and my iPod.

I use the iPod for my music in the car or when running or biking. My other devices are too big and clumsy. My new phone is still small enough to take on these chores.

My iPad Mini is hooked to cellular data, and is how I text with Helen, and with friends. I try and keep my bills small on that device, and only rarely use it for other online tasks when away from wifi. The new phone will take over all of those tasks. Our cellular provider has a great deal on right now where you get double data when signing up a new phone. I will no longer be on a low-calorie cellular diet.

The iPad Pro is for serious typing, and drawing, and watching movies and such, or even web surfing when I've got wifi. The model I own does not hook up to cellular. This is stuff the phone won't do.

So, going to Starbucks for coffee will see me with my huge iPad, and my iPhone. Going for a run will have me carrying only the phone. Out for shopping or chores? Also iPhone only.

I'll let you know how it works out.


No comments:

Post a Comment