Friday 3 June 2016

Self Inflicted

In Jiu-Jitsu I am getting swamped with material. I used to be just fine.

The problem comes from the class trying to plow through too much material in too little time, or at least too little time for me.

We run through the material in cycles. We go all the way through, and then start again.

Originally, we only had the Level One part of the curriculum to absorb, and we took more months in cycling through it than we do now.

We have optional exams where we have to demonstrate a reasonable level of mastery of the various Levels. After going through the Level One curriculum cycle once, I took and passed the exam with a very high score.

Currently, I am on my 4th run through the Level One curriculum.

Later on, almost 1/3 of the time we used to spend on the cycle was shaved off. On top of this, Level Two was released and added on top. We learn both at the same time.

After completing our first cycle of the two Levels of material, I was nowhere near ready to take the Level Two exam.

We are currently on our 2nd run through the Level Two curriculum.

Recently, Level Three was added on to Levels One and Two.

I am no longer keeping up at all.

The only good part is that the Level One stuff is all comfortable review for me. I know it very well.

What I need is for the Level Two curriculum to be moved from the category of "passing acquaintance" into the one I call "solidly absorbed." Should I be able to make this happen, during class I can concentrate all of my limited brain power into learning the Level Three material.

I have decided to prepare for, and take, the Level Two exam. This is a huge endeavour. At our school, the only person to have done this exam is our chief instructor, Shawn. None of the students has done so. In fact, the tests are so difficult that only two students have completed the earlier Level One exam. As I said before, the tests are optional.

In preparation, I spent a couple of hours this afternoon looking over one of the three technical parts of the exam. I wanted to see how close I was to being ready.

Needless to say, I am far from being ready. I made copious notes, and reviewed the instructional videos. By the end of the two hours, I am comfortable with how much I know, and how much I have to learn.

It will be extremely hard, and take a great deal of work outside of class, but not insurmountable.

Tomorrow, one of the best training partners I know is going to be in town. She wants to train with me for a couple of hours, and is willing to let me choose the topic.

We will work on the part of the Level Two test material I looked over today. Technically, it's called BBS2 drill one, Mount/Sidemount. On it there are 62 curriculum items, called "slices," to be performed within a 20 minute period. The sequence has to be memorized, and then performed in a way that demonstrates each slice correctly.

This is video recorded. It must be a single continuous shot (no editing). The only good part is that if an error is noticed, the whole thing can be recorded again.

After doing BBS2 drill one, Mount/Sidemount, there are two even larger technical test sections to prepare, and video within the same 20 minute limit.

When it is marked at HQ, they count up every misplaced knee, or head position, or slow movement, or wrong grip as an error. More than 20 errors means failure. That means one is permitted only about one weak grip, or wrong placement every three minutes. Yikes.

Along with this, 3 five-minute sparring segments also need to be submitted as well. At least they are only pass or fail.

This would be months of work preparing for and recording the exam. Unfortunately, it is even bleaker than that.

The person playing the partner role is just as important, and requires almost as much preparation as that of the person taking the exam. Again, there is a bright spot. It doesn't have to be the same partner for all three technical parts of the test, or even for the sparring videos.

I just need to get myself ready for each technical drill, get somebody to agree to help me, and then train them in their role.

Of course, if I can't get the needed partners, it is still possible to force myself to learn the material fully, and then not do the exam. It is the learning that really matters.

It is, however, nice to have an outside expert evaluate how you are doing on a project like this. The actual exam process provides this feedback.

And if a person passes, they get a tiny little stripe to stitch onto their belt, and a nice certificate to go with it.

In any case, I shall work on this self-inflicted study program the best that I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment