Thursday 16 June 2016

Home Town

A great day in Victoria, with nothing really we had to do.

As I wake up stupidly early, I tip-toed out as best I could, and ran through the early morning suburban streets up to the University and back, with a wee coffee stop at Starbucks.

The run itself was grand, and through weather that was nothing liked the overcast bucket of rain that was predicted.

The coffee stop was a winner. When I started up my Starbucks app to pay for the drink, it informed me that today's beverage would be free due to my upcoming birthday. Thank you, Starbucks.

Following that, and a shower, Helen and I hit a bunch of favourite downtown stores. We were there just as the first of them was opening, and doddered along through one after the other. Admittedly, I didn't really love either Gala Fabric or the Bee Hive Wool store, but at least both has places for me to sit, and Helen likes them.

We popped into the shopping area in the old Hudson Bay store building. Inside, there are now condos and a mini-mall, although they have managed to save the swanky facade. We explored a fancy vinegar and oil store, picking up some peach and grapefruit flavoured white balsamic that is incredibly yummy. I use it on salad.

It was just the right time to collect the car and zip over to Bridge Street for lunch at Prima Strada Pizza. Their food is unbelievable. When in Italy last fall we could find nowhere to eat anywhere near as good.

After we ordered, the manager approached and asked about the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu shirt I was wearing. Seems he's an old Karate guy (which sounds like someone else I know), and is very interested in finding a place to train. I told him I am from out of town, and he asked if I could recommend anybody near Victoria. Had to tell him, "no," as I only have experience with one place in the city, and that I really can't recommend it. Gave him a few pointers as to what problems he might encounter in his quest.

Checked in at Tempo Trend Music to see if the rainbow-coloured accordion that Helen has on order has arrived. Never hurts to check, but no luck.

Then walked Mayfair Mall, and then headed back to Oliver and Jen's place. We gathered up Charlie the dog, and drove over to the nearest beach. Charlie had a great time fetching sticks, and when we pooped out, entertained herself by splashing, and then biting the jumping water.

Picked up Thai-style supper for all seven of us, and then I conked out hard on the couch.

So, run, free coffee, downtown, pizza, Jiu-Jitsu chat, accordion shop, mall, beach, and a noodle-supper with family.

Victoria is a good place.



No comments:

Post a Comment