Monday 7 March 2016

New Belt

I am pleased as punch, having been recently awarded a Purple Belt from Rener Gracie after a two-week evaluation at the main Gracie Academy in Los Angeles.

I started training in 2011, and received my Blue Belt in 2012. My road to Purple therefore has taken 4 years.

There is no way I can keep up my current pace of training as my body ages. Even if I could, a Brown Belt would not arrive until age 63, and Black at 67. Those promotions may or may not ever happen.

My current long-term goal is to remain on-the-mat as long as I can. That means I have to keep healthy. I don't heal as fast as the 20-year-olds, and have to play smart. No ego games for me. I have to be willing to tap quickly, and often.

A big issue for a few weeks will be getting my new belt to tie properly until it softens up some from use.

That's always a giveaway in identifying a rookie in a new rank.


1 comment: