Sunday 7 February 2016

Good Stuff

In my last blog entry, I nattered on about things that I wish Jiu-Jitsu people would stop doing.

There are also plenty of things that they they should start doing, or do more often.

When rolling, they should let bad things happen. I've rolled with people who tried to be in control of every single second, as if it were for a World Championship. If you let your partner catch you in submissions more often, you get a chance to work your defences. Mixed in any roll, if my partner cannot get anything on me, I make sure that they can. What do I do when my guard gets passed, or my arm caught, or a choke locked in on me? My partner gets to practice what to do if they get something, and I get to practice what to do when things to wrong.

Let bad stuff happen when rolling, even if you don't have to.

Positive feedback is also important. If a partner does something good, especially if they are less experienced, tell them. It can be especially valuable if you can be specific. If you can, say something like, “When you defended that arm bar by stacking me, you had your weight centred directly on me. I couldn't move at all.”

Not only will you be helping them refine their technique, they will enjoy rolling with you. Do it enough, and you'll soon be everybody's favourite mentor.

Tell sparring partners when they have done well.

There are also a lot of chores around your gym. Some schools have it all organized, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Twice a week, I am the first one in the door, and promptly sweep the mat. It is bloody huge, and takes about ten minutes. Nobody expects me to, but it makes things just a little nicer.

Our school disinfects the mat weekly. I used to wash them pretty much every Saturday, and text the instructor that it was done. That way I would save him from having to do it.

We now have more help with some of the chores, as the school has come up with a system for people having difficulty with the cost of lessons. They do chores to help out instead.

You may not feel inclined to help. Perhaps you are paying high fees, and have decided that they entitle you to not help out. Probably it does, but tiny bits of effort are always appreciated.

At the Gracie Academy in Los Angeles, they have a full staff of cleaners, and desk people. Everything in those areas are totally cared for. At class time, there are still a few ways people manage to help out. For example; the instructor usually collects the attendance cards. On rare occasion they get a bit delayed. When that happens, one of the students always does the collecting without being asked. A small thing, but it's a big help.

Help out without being asked.

Most students feel very highly of their instructors. Do you? Have they done a lot for you? If so, what have you done for them?

Have you ever passed a belt test? If you did, you got some stuff; like a new belt, and perhaps a celebratory dinner out. What did your instructor get? He also worked hard for your promotion. Yes, people thank their teachers verbally all the time, but it's easy enough to do a little bit more. If they like wine, buy them a bottle. No? Maybe a Starbucks card. You can tie it to a belt test (pun intended), or just do it for no reason at all.

Do something nice for your instructor once in a while.

Oh, yeah, and train hard... all the time...


No comments:

Post a Comment