Thursday 7 October 2021

Lack of Discipline

 


A week or so back I was complimented on my dedication to Jiu-Jitsu by the instructor in North Vancouver. He was referring to my habit of travelling into the city to attend classes at his school.


These trips take an entire day. I am out the door by 5:30am to drive to the ferry terminal, ride across as a foot passenger, and ride transit in order to train, and then the whole string runs backwards to bring me home. Usually, I am back in my house 12 hours after leaving.


I also train at every opportunity at my local gym, and attend every seminar.


So why do I always insist that I am neither dedicated nor disciplined in my training?


Is there something that you find incredibly fun? Do you love to play golf, or perhaps you follow some sports team? Is it a great joy to attend theatre, or go to movies?


That is how I am with Jiu-Jitsu. What would I rather be doing if I weren’t training? Why do I never have to drag myself to class? Jiu-Jitsu is fun for me.


I never want to skip a class, ever. If I do so, that’s when I am displaying dedication and discipline. It means something more important or even more fun has come up.


Such compliments are totally undeserved. What I do requires no dedication or discipline at all. I’m just doing what is the most fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment