Tuesday 26 July 2016

Ghostbusters

The first thing you need to know about me is that I'm pretty stunned; always have been.

I suppose it also matters that I'm male, and that I'm 60 years old.

When I as a kid, there was some kind of question that came up at one of the schools that I attended where there was no girls' team for some sport or other, but there was for boys. I didn't understand why that would be, and nobody could explain it to my satisfaction.

You see, my family never insisted that there were any particular gender differences to the world. My sister helped around the house, and liked to cook, and I did neither of those things. I never assumed that it was any form of male privilege, but rather that I was a lazy bastard.

So, anyhow, being stunned, I never noticed how one-sided the world actually was. When women struggled to get the concept of equal-pay for equal-work, I was probably the most surprised person in the world that such a movement was necessary. My assumption was that equal-work meant equal-pay, and was shocked to discover that it was untrue, and even more shocked that there were people who thought otherwise.

Fast forward a large number of decades.

There is a movie out this summer that is a re-make of the 1984 movie Ghost Busters. I generally hate remakes of good movies, and had no intention of seeing this one until it would eventually show up on Netflix or on TV.

There is a controversy about it. In the original had 4 guys in the roles of the Ghostbusters, and they were great. The remake has all of the Ghostbuster roles played by women. Somehow, many fans of the original take this as some form of sacrilege. Personally, I don't care at all about that, but hadn't heard anything particularly wonderful about the film.

Turns out, most of the world is missing the point.

I just read a great summation of a woman who is currently 30 years of age about just why this movie is important. Although the world is far from gender-equal, you'd think a woman born in 1986, in North America, would have been spared the worst of it. Perhaps in some ways this is true.

But not in all ways. She explains it all very clearly;


The short version is that there is a scene, where the new-Ghostbusters are about to be annihilated by a horde of evil spirits; their weapons all spent. One of the characters pulls two big-ass handguns out of nowhere, and proceeds to go all action-hero on the villains. She does so wearing baggy coveralls, with no visible cleavage, and her hair bundled up and away. It is both irrelevant that she is female, and vitally important. No concession to her gender is made in any way. She is neither sexualized, nor feminized, but neither is she male.

Our 30-year-old female blogger found it a cathartic experience. This was the first time she had ever experienced such a thing, and its impact on her was profound.

I have not yet seen this movie, but suppose now I shall.

Already it reminds me of the recent Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens. In it, the lead protagonist is also female. She is also not sexualized at all. Her gender is not particularly important to the role she is playing. In fact, the movie is a form of remake as well, and the place she plays in it is that of Luke Skywalker from the original. I haven't heard many make this connection, perhaps as Luke Skywalker is actually a character in this movie, but I digress.

This character, Rey, is played as an action-hero, just as the leads of the Ghostbusters remake are.

These characters are true leads. They are not there to be somebody else's romantic interest, or to titillate the audience, or to be the person to be rescued. The are definitely NOT supporting cast.

This is important, and it can be seen in the negative reaction of many original-version Ghostbusters fans to the all-female cast. Somehow, the gender of the Ghostbusters matters to them just as much.

I loved the original movie, but wasn't really interested in the re-make as it is, well, a re-make. I loved the original Italian Job, but haven't seen the new version. My only notice of the big gender swap was the thought that it was mildly interesting. See; stunned.

But getting back to the premise; how many female action-star roles have there been in the last couple of years? Now remove all that involve sexy outfits; tight, low-cut, etc. Now remove any where the female hero is in-fact playing a subordinate role to a male hero.

Hunger Games isn't one, and Twilight isn't either. Try reversing the genders of the actors in those. They don't work at all then, do they? Why are these pouty, and relatively passive characters spontaneously being loved and followed by everybody they encounter? These are not action heroes, but rather some strange type of romantic/fantasy/dramas with monster/revolution backdrops.

I liked the Rey character in Star Wars, and hope that Ghostbusters works for me, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment