Sunday 6 September 2015

Types of Years

Belts mean different thing in every martial art.

Take my friends Elizabeth, Tobias, and Rob. They will be going for their Hapkido Black Belts in March. I'm willing to bet they'll all pass. They work hard.

All three are also students of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. In March, when they become Hapkido Black Belts, Tobias will be a Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt with 2 stripes, as will Rob, and Elizabeth will have 3 stripes on hers.

Each of the started their Jiu-Jitsu training on the same date that they also started in Hapkido. Interestingly, they actually train twice as many hours per week in Jiu-Jitsu.

At a minimum, in March when they get their Hapkido Black Belts, Rob and Tobias will have about two years still to go before their Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belts turn into Purple ones. Elizabeth is a bit ahead, and will have one more year for Purple.

In comparing Jiu-Jitsu to Shotokan Karate, I will be getting my 4th Blue Belt Jiu-Jitsu stripe within a month of the length of time that I earned a Black Belt. My Purple will come something like a year later.

That's why I say a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Purple Belt is like a Black Belt in most other arts. I say it because it's true.

If age doesn't stop me, I could theoretically earn a Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt ten years after getting to Purple Belt.

In that same amount of time, it is also theoretically possible to earn up to a 4th Degree Black Belt in Shotokan.

The ranks just mean different things.

Karate and Hapkido give their fancy rank after about 4 years, and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu at about 15.

Let's say one school district gives it's successful students a Gold Star after they have completed kindergarten, and grades 1, 2 and 3. The neighbouring district doesn't, but instead awards one after their kids have completed their second year of university. It's still Gold Star, but it would mean something different.

Not better or worse.




No comments:

Post a Comment