Wednesday 3 June 2015

White as Snow

Read a blog recently by a Purple Belt who moved from the UK to the US and her experience in finding a new school. Very briefly, she mentioned that she chose to wear a White Belt again.

That unleashed a storm of controversy. People said she shouldn't have been "demoted," even though she clearly stated that it was her own decision. They countered by saying that her "demoting" herself was disrespectful to her old teachers.

When I walked into my current school I, like her, wore a White Belt. I left my decades-old Black Belt at home. Granted, it is a Shotokan Karate Black Belt, but why didn't I wear it. Simple; in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu I was a raw rookie.

Before you start saying that that isn't the same thing at all, how about my next example.

After receiving a Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt, my wife and I made an extended visit to be with family in Victoria. I indulged a long-time wish to train at the renowned Victoria Judo Club. What belt do you think I should have worn; my beat up old Black Belt, or my shiny, new Blue one? I wore White. They made it quite clear either of my others would have been acceptable. I thanked them, and explained.

If I'd worn Black, students with much higher Judo qualifications would have been bowing to me. Some might even have asked me to help them with technique, which would have been ridiculous. It wouldn't have been quite as bad with a mere Blue Belt on, but I think you see what I mean.

I wore a White Belt on the Judo mat, as that was the most appropriate rank. I wore a White Belt when starting Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, because it was the most appropriate rank.

The woman who changed schools wore White as that was the most appropriate choice. Her new school is a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu one, and they have very specific ways of doing things. You have to be able to do things their way.

Let's say you have a kick-ass Kimura. You join one of their schools, and wear a Purple Belt earned at a different type of school. Some White Belt asks you for help with their Kimura, and you proceed to show them your way. You aren't really helping. They were asking you for help in how they need to do a Kimura for their upcoming exam, not for any other variation. If you'd had a White Belt on this wouldn't have happened.

You are actually allowed to take the exam demonstrating your proficiency in their requirements anytime. Why not eliminate any confusion by wearing White until then? Of course, that would only make you a Blue Belt. So how does one get a Gracie Purple Belt or higher? Simple; you need to be evaluated in person by one of the Gracies, or by one of their designated Black Belts.

What's the big deal anyhow? Are you so proud of your belt that you can't put it aside? I'm pretty proud of my Black Belt, but wore White when starting Jiu-Jitsu and Judo.

I also didn't try wearing it when I did some Iado (Japanese swordsmanship) either.

Even within an art, every variant has different ways and standards. My Karate is Shotokan. I sometimes train at a nearby Shitu-Ryu dojo as a guest. If I should ever choose to really join them, I would have to pretty much re-learn everything from Katas to basic movement. That would see me putting on a fresh, new White Belt yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment