Thursday 9 April 2015

Two Eyes

There were two interesting events I noticed during sparring time. I rushed to be out again to the spectators area as quick as I could after class.

They were doing 5 minute rounds, then switched partners. When I got seated, I noticed one of the regularly-attending, Purple Belt women rolling with the highest-ranked woman I've seen here so far. She is a Brown Belt, and was clearly in control, but the roll was gentle and instructive for her partner. I think they were the only women in a crowd of about 50 men.

The buzzer sounder to re-pair, and the Brown Belt partnered up with a big, teen-aged lad. He was wearing a Green Belt, which is a junior rank denoting skill level of about Blue Belt level. He must be just under the 16-year-old minimum for Blue, he was athletic, and considerably bigger than her. As expected, she was in control again.

The buzzer went again. With all those people pairing up, I found it strange that she ended up with nobody. This never happens to Brown Belts. People are always eager to roll with them, but not her. Did this mean something, or was it a fluke? After 5 minutes the buzzer sounded again, and still no partner. This was odd.

Granted, she didn't aggressively grab anybody, either. After about a minute into the round Alex, one of the instructors, grabbed her to roll.

I haven't figured out what this all means, but there are definitely some gender issues that happen on the mat.

While observing all this, I was also keeping my eye on the big cheese, Rener Gracie. He was with a top Purple Belt during the first round, teaching as they rolled.

There was a non-Gracie Brown Belt visiting from someplace, and when the partner-change sounded, Rener waved him over. He wasn't nasty about anything, but he proceeded to defeat everything the Brown Belt tried, and didn't attack much himself.

They stayed together for the entire rest of the roll time.

Rener is so nice that he wouldn't be doing it to, “put the stranger in his place.”

I don't think the Brown Belt was upset. If anything, it would be an honor to be taken so seriously by Rener Gracie on the mat.

I think Rener likes playing with strangers. It gives him a chance to see what is current with other styles of Jiu-Jitsu, and might present some different challenges.

So one eye on Rener, and the other on the female Brown Belt.

Pity I don't have more eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment