Monday 24 November 2014

Formal Night Not

Small glitch with our turnaround. As we had to change cabins we were supposed to receive new key cards. We didn't, nor any letter explaining the correct procedure for obtaining them, or how to do the next cruise stuff at all.

I questioned the desk when I got up at my usual, stupid-early time. They said go to the meeting place, and somebody would have the cards. Were first in line at the meeting place, and they said to sit, relax, and talk to their partner who would be there soon. The partner arrived, and said they would check.

Nothing happened, so I bugged her again. She said to have a seat, relax, and that she'd check. A bit later she announced on the room speaker that our party should disembark, and that we'd receive our cards on shore.

As we can't get back aboard without our cards it was seeming like a game of pass-them-off-on-the-next-person, and that they'd get stuck dealing with us. Meanwhile, we'd be off our lovely boat for an indeterminate amount of time.

Nope, once unloaded, she showed up with all our shiny, new cards. Huzzah, and back on board.

We moved our stuff to our new cabins without waiting for the staff to get around to it. All moved in, and happy, and it's almost lunchtime.

I like lunchtime.

The girls played cards a bit, and I went to the gym. My treadmill machine gave me a fitness test that cranked up to a 10% slope. I don't run up real hills that steep. I think the treadmill wanted to kill me.

A bit later, We all ended up together again, walked the deck and saw three manatees lumbering along. I got a pretty fair video of them. We keep trying to find shore-based free wifi, but so far nuttin'.

*

Twas a lovely, Bahamas beach day at Princess Cay. Helen and I snorkeled, ate, and did a camera safari. To round it off, Helen hit the water again while I flaked out in the shade.

The only downer was that it was a formal dinner night, and we didn't try and bring those kinda clothes on our tiny-packing trip. Most cruises let you in anyhow, as long as you have slacks and a button shirt, but not Princess. No problem; off to the buffet. It was closed.

They had a fancier buffet set up at the next eatery. I think Princess thought they were doing the non-formal folks a treat. The food was a notch up from the usual buffet, but the venue was not.

Princess doesn't seem to get 21st century, Vegas-style such as ALL the other cruise lines use for their buffets. Vegas style has lots of guest room, and stations for different types of foods. There is no expectation that guest go through the entire food line. In fact, there is no food line. It's wander and discover.

Princess had us at a buffet which was clearly designed to have everybody enter a food queue at one end, and remain in place until you squirt out the other end. I was having none of that, as our line was stalled at the custom-made-salad station. I skipped the salads altogether, but it was a squeeze to do so, and on a ship like this I count as a slender guy. I popped into holes in the queue and snagged my assorted entrees and was done in maybe three minutes. I was off to my table before the guy just ahead of "my queue spot" was even half way out of salad land.

This would be understandable if this ship were designed long ago, but it's actually a 21st-century-built vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment