Monday 13 October 2014

Mo' money

So how would I change my Jiu-Jitsu life if I had infinite funds?

Hmmm.....

Best to start at the simple end of the stick. I guess I'd get some new gis.

My gis are fine, but not perfect. They are sized in a funny fashion. I am just too big for size 5, and too small for size 6. Fancy gi manufacturers make size 5.5 which would be better for me. There are also places that make custom uniforms if you send them a series of measurements. Might even be worth a short trip to Japan to get some hand tailored.

Don't know which of these ways I'd go, but I think I'd get some new gis.

Sometimes there is just nobody to train with, and grappling dummies can fill the void. They cost about $650. I think I'd get one for home, and one to keep at our school.

I think I'd add a private lesson each week to my regular schedule. This would be a good way to keep things fresh, as I could get the instructor to cover things we haven't done recently in the normal classes.

So far, that's all pretty low-cost stuff. Time to think bigger.

Last winter Helen and I drove down to LA so that I could train for two months. We lived out of a hotel, and I paid for about half of the bill with saved-up credit-card points. The rest of the rent came to maybe $3000, and all on top of that we ate out constantly.

With unlimited cash, I'd go south more often. The hotel stay was pleasant, so maybe we'd stay there, or maybe we'd get a “place”. A condo near to the academy would be convenient, or maybe down by the beach. A condo would give us more space than a hotel does.

Down in LA they have 13 classes a week appropriate to my level, and when I was there I attended them all.

With bags of cash, I might change that up a bit. I'd still attend one group class each evening, but would add a private lesson every morning, and just maybe another private session around noon.

I'd also bring LA back home with me. Instructors from down there travel about and do seminars. These are very expensive for whoever is hosting the event. I'd regularly bring up instructors. This would not only benefit me, but also everybody at the local academy.

So, new uniforms, grappling dummies, trips to LA with private lessons, private lessons at home, and visits from HQ instructors.

That should cover it.




No comments:

Post a Comment