Thursday 8 September 2022

Going South



The date is set, and I’m training like a madman. There is an incredible amount of material to absorb. Every minute of preparation is valuable.


This isn’t fun, and has been going on for the better part of a year. There are two-and-a-half months still to go.


If I pass, all is well and good. If not, or if I get wrecked during all the preparation work, I will not be doing it all again. For me, this is all supposed to be fun. I am old, and using up another year out of my finite supply is not an option.


I head south during the American Thanksgiving weekend in November. My wife is planning on staying behind here. The drive is a little over 2,100 kilometres, and will be spread over three days. All that travel will land me in Los Angeles ready to attend two intensive training weeks prior to the actual exam.


The Covid infection rate in Los Angeles county is alarming. Likely I’ll be avoiding people there as much as I can. When not on the mat I’ll be like a hermit. This is fine as there is nothing holiday-like about this California trip at all.


The actual evaluation will be my last two days in LA. I expect having everything thrown at the candidates. I really have no idea what their standards are like. There is a strong chance that I’ll be the oldest one being tested.


The drive home is the same length in distance and in terms of time as the trip south had been. I should be home smack in the middle of December.


That will feel good.




No comments:

Post a Comment