Friday 19 November 2021

Goals, training, and changes

 

I felt very good when things started opening up, but I lost sight of reality.

However, Covid and the clock are always there, ready to throw a monkey wrench into any situation.


The reduction of government restrictions saw me training again at the local Jiu-Jitsu school, and even returning to weekly trips to train in the City.


Then, they opened up just a bit too far, and everybody was in one big, sweaty basket. There was no distinction by vaccination status. This did not work for me.


I haven’t been to train in the City since September, and recently also stopped attending any local sessions.


If I were more sensible, my view of Jiu-Jitsu would be more like most other activities. Miss a bit, and you just miss a bit; it doesn’t change the entire thing for the participants.


Jiu-Jitsu has exams, and attendance requirements, and ranks, and promotions.


When my journey first started, it seemed that the highest a person like me in a town like mine could reach would be to a Blue Belt.


I hit that point, and even earned a wee stripe, and the rules changed. There was no theoretical limit, although it seemed that in practicality that I might just reach as high as Purple Belt.


Why a limit for me but not for other students? My training started when I was already incredibly old; 55 years of age. Some say age is just a state of mind, but they clearly are not doing something as physical as Jiu-Jitsu. Most in this sport consider themselves ancient when they hit their 40s.


I turned Blue at 56, and Purple at 60, and even managed to get a Brown Belt at age 63. Currently I am 65.


If I were smart, my focus on rank advancement would stop right now. Sadly, I have found one more goal I’d like to manage.


I have two stripe ranks left to go with my Brown Belt. Beyond that there is the coveted status of becoming a Black Belt.


In the normal course of things, it looked as though my chance would come in just over two years, in Los Angeles, at the only-once-per-year Gracie Black Belt evaluation.


With anything like my normal training intensity, it looked just about possible to be through all the preparations a Black Belt exam would call for.


With a self-imposed Covid shutdown, it would be impossible. Every training day missed would make a successful Black Belt exam less likely.


Then, the rules changed once more at the local school, and again I was back working on the mat. It felt that if nothing else went wrong, I could work hard for those two years, go to Los Angeles, and have a decent shot at success.


My instructor is a great guy, as well as being a good teacher. Just to be sure of my path, I asked if my estimation of date for a Black Belt evaluation matched his own. It is, after all, his decision as to when students get tested for the various belts.


It seems my estimation was significantly incorrect. My instructor is planning on a December test for me a full year sooner than I was expecting.


The good side of this is that I would be doing the test at the age of 66, rather than 67.


The downside is that it gives me 12 less months to prepare. This will greatly influence my chance of success.


In a way, it doesn’t really matter. A test in either year can only have one of two outcomes; promotion or failure.


Earning a flashy new Black Belt would allow me to work at what I want, at a pace that I can maintain.


Failure would mean at least another year of high-paced curriculum-focused work before a possible second attempt at promotion. I do not want to do this, and have decided I shall not.


For this coming year I shall work with full intensity, and full determination, and do everything possible to insure success. Pass or fail, I shall then step off of that demanding treadmill.


I shall not make a second attempt, but will permanently retire my ambition for rank. Just putting this in print makes me feel more comfortable.


Long ago when I first started working towards Jiu-Jitsu rank I would tell people that my true goal was to work my way as far up the rank tree as the system and father time would allow.


It is getting close to the time when should switch to a new goal. It will be to continue training for as many years as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment