Saturday 16 May 2020

Semi-private

For Marc;

A wonderful part of the NVGJJ web lessons is how they generally follow the sequence and methods of the Gracie University material, but with a magnificent plus.

Let me give an example. The technique is called (BBS2-32) Butterfly Half Guard; Front Side Sweep. I first encountered this puppy several years ago, and trained it as throughly as any other technique. It worked like a charm during drill. However, whenever I attempted to pull it off during free-rolling my guard was always instantly passed.

I returned to the video lessons from Gracie University, and noted every detail. They talked a lot about the technique’s potential for failure and emphasized faster and higher leg extension to prevent these issues. I tried, and there was zero improvement.

When NVGJJ got to that lesson, I didn’t expect much. There were all the exact same steps, until one wasn’t the same. Just before all those explosive leg extensions that did me no good there is a movement that the young giants at Gracie University barely mentioned. They are shown grabbing their opponent’s support arm and pulling on it with their own arm. I had been doing it exactly the same way, but am neither young nor a giant. The NVGJJ video showed grabbing the arm, and then collapsing it completely using a total contraction of back muscles. I tried it that way, and almost didn’t have to extend my legs at all. The back crunch alone was almost enough to complete the entire technique. What the hell?

The difference was that the NVGJJ lesson was done by somebody who does not normally out-mass or out-muscle his opponents. 

In this particular case the new video took a technique which did absolutely nothing for me except get my guard passed, and made it into a viable, high-success, low-effort option for me.

Usually, the difference is not so dramatic, but still allows me to improve my effectiveness while lowering the energy costs for me. A little bit here, and a little bit there.

Sometimes being 6’13” tall like the Gracie University instructors means they miss certain efficiencies. I am a hundred years old and need every effort reduction that exists.

There is also a different pace to the NVGJJ online lessons. They are tight. Often, too much information can be just as bad as not enough. Let’s say I watch a NVGJJ lesson, and need more. I could ask a question, and sometimes do, but am just as likely to make a note to watch the corresponding Gracie University video, or at least the relevant part of one.

Every single one of the NVGJJ lessons has either given me something new, or fired me up to watch a GU video, or made me re-think some pertinent conundrum.

Nothing can replace hands-on work with a partner, but these are damn close.

No comments:

Post a Comment