Thursday 20 February 2020

Happy




This visit has been freaky.

Keep in mind that I am nothing special at all. We have come to LA for a couple of weeks at about this time of year since 2014. We do fun tourist stuff, but we come primarily so that I can train in Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie University.

For this visit, my goal is to attend 20 classes, and so far am only 5 classes toward that total.

Gracie University has thousands of students of its own, and tons of visitors always coming and going.

I have been noticed and acknowledged by instructors Ryron Gracie twice, Alex Stewart twice, and by Sam Fernandez, and Rener Gracie.

Several students have remembered me from before, and made a point of greeting me.

I have also been approached in the change room by a student who says I am exactly what he is aspiring to be. You see, I am 63 years old, which counts as crazy old for an activity like this. He was stunned to run across somebody my age wearing a Brown Belt.

Another student came up after a class to greet me. He used to be a member at an affiliate school in Palm Desert, which has folded. I visited there a few times in 2018 and 2019 and showed them a few simple things.

Their survivors have opened a new school in Indio, and he enthusiastically invited me to visit them there. As we will be in that general area soon, I happily agreed.

Keep in mind that I’ve only been to 5 classes.

Nothing even close to this happened during any of my other 6 visits here to train.

It must be because of the high regard that people have for Brown Belts.

I must say that I don’t act like the other Brown Belts. Most don’t behave like they do at earlier levels.

There seems to be two trends. The first group seems serious all the time, and somewhat reserved; dare I say, “mysterious?” The other bunch is more annoying, and insist on telling other folk how to do every little thing as if they are some kind of experts. If you listen in, you’ll hear all sorts of downright nonsense. Luckily this is by far the smaller of the two groups.

I don’t know why either group behaves as it does, but it’s really pretty obvious if you play spy for a while.

Me? I’m usually smiling, and acting as if I’m just happy to be there, because I am. Not mysterious, and not trying to pass my self off as knowing more than I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment