Saturday 11 May 2019

Cruise Eve

On the Eve of a Cruise





Time to head north on yet another Alaska cruise.

Helen and I did this route back in 1996 with family, and then twice more in the decade that followed. It was never a first-choice for us, but it was by far the best for travel with our older family members.

Then, in 2009, we did it again. That time it was with our best friends Lola and Bernie, and Lola’s mom Phyllis.

Phyllis was in her upper eighties in age, and the cruise option to Alaska was the perfect fit. There is no nonsense air travel getting to the cruise vacation area. She lives in the Vancouver area, and that’s where the ships pick us up, and drop us off at afterwards.

Bernie was willing to try a cruise, but had issues with motion sickness in his past, and so this was definitely a test run.

He had no problem with motion at all; none. Everybody loved the whole thing, and so we made it into an annual event.

We’ve done it every summer since. That’s actually a bit of a stretch, as Helen and I had to bail out on the 2017 run due to the scheduling of cataract surgery, but we were back for 2018, and again now in 2019.

In fact, we leave tomorrow.

This year I am the one with a health issue. My neck got injured somehow at about the start of April, and still isn’t right. It’s a lot better, as I’ve been babying things along. There has been no Jiu-Jitsu at all for almost a month-and-a-half, which has been absolutely awful. This cruise will be the test. I’m hoping it will be a continuation of my healing time off-the-mat, and that I’ll come home even more healed up than I am now.

You’d think a pile of eating, shows, and window gazing wouldn’t be much of a challenge, but I’ll have to let you know.

A cool thing about cruising is that the lines don’t care at all how much baggage you want to bring aboard. We’ve never taken much advantage of this, and normally travel quite differently.

My bag is 21” tall, including wheels, and 15” wide, and a very skinny 8” thick. This is my carryon that fits every airline’s regulations, and I like it. We live this way a lot, so why would I take more.

Helen’s bag is bigger. When we fly, it isn’t, but we are not flying. We will be busing, ferrying, and walking through downtown Vancouver.

It makes us careful about every little item we take. If we find we can’t fit everything in, I can easily go up a level in my bag size to make room.

Anyhow, with Helen at music tonight I just have a little TV watching to do, and then bed.

When we awake, things start to get serious.






No comments:

Post a Comment