Saturday 1 July 2017

Cancelled but Not



Here in Canada it is a long weekend right now. July 1st is the anniversary of Canada's birth as a nation. That this year the day off of work is on Monday.

Friday is the start of the weekend, and there is an open mat Jiu-Jitsu time. Normally, I'd work with Tawha on polishing up the second-level testing technique, but this time she was away. Often nobody else shows up, but this Friday was different. Our chief instructor, Shawn Phillips needed a partner to work with on the third level testing stuff. It is important to get this done, as the level four stuff has just been released, and we don't get access until he completes testing for level three. I was free, and so we jumped right in to all of that.

Saturday morning is another open mat time, and I always go. Usually somebody shows up, but I was sceptical of anybody else being there on a long weekend, so I posted that I would only be there if somebody let me know beforehand. Nobody did, and I bailed on doing open mat. Luckily, my friend Koko is back from university for the holiday, and wanted to get together to train. We met on the mat at 4pm, and drilled a huge range of technique. We were at it for two solid hours.

Sunday is a day of complete shut down at the school, and this weekend was no different.

Monday isn't even normally part of the weekend, but it is this time around. Usually, I head into the city to train at Marc Marins' school, but they are closed for the holiday. This doesn't matter, as Shawn wants to get together again to work on his third-level test stuff. No reason not to jump right in on this task again.

So in summation, my three usual sessions on Friday, Saturday, and Monday, have all been cancelled. Each has been replaced with other training that is at just as good, and all of it just dropped into my lap.




No comments:

Post a Comment