Saturday 19 July 2014

Parade and Demo

There are a lot of things I dislike about the martial arts. I don't like the exams at all, or competition, or doing demos. Strangely, I don't mind teaching, but that is something for another time.

All of the things that I don't like are similar. They all involve performing publicly.

After earning a Black Belt in Karate back in 1986, I never tested again. At first, this was partly due to the difficulty involved in being tested at all. For about a decade, an exam would have entailed a trip to someplace like Japan. After that, exams became available locally, but by then I felt no pressure to go for it. As a result, I've been a first degree Black Belt for almost 30 years. That just might be a record.

I've tried competition a few times, and didn't like that either, so I stopped.

Demos? Same thing. If it's part of a class I'm fine with it. I've been the guy demonstrated on many, many times, and have been the guy demonstrating. The difference between that and a demo is that in class it's a learning environment. A demo is not. It's purpose basically to show outsiders what we do. That I don't like at all.

Anyhow, our Jiu-Jitsu group is involved in an upcoming parade and demo. The idea is that we might gain a few new people. It is a good opportunity for this. I'm all for that. No problem walking in the parade wearing a uniform.

Whenever the demo was discussed, zillions of others seemed to want to do it. Great; no need for me.

Then, when the crunch came as to who would actually prepare for the demo, we were coming up short. I agreed to help.

This morning, at the demo practice there were very few people present. Therefore, I became part of the demo team. Nuts, but not a big deal. I'll just be rolling with Scott for about 3 or 4 minutes.

Rather not, but I really, really want our school to succeed. At best, it will draw a few new members. At worst, it won't, and I'll have had to roll around for a couple of minutes in public.

The upside is great, and the downside is no biggie.

But where were all the missing folks?




No comments:

Post a Comment